Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Archer Offseason

Even with cable making original programming a year-round affair, the Summer is still a quiet time for my TV viewing. I've got a lot of extra time in my schedule and thought it would be a good time to start a little project.
I do my weekly DVR Purges, but let's be frank: they are crap. I don't proofread them at all most weeks. They're collections of scattered thoughts that barely even make sense a week later. What I've decided to do is, with most of these shows I watch taking a break, reflect on where I stand with them, assessing what is in the show's favor (assets) and what could get it in trouble (liabilities).
Now, not every show I watch will be included. In general, I'm sticking to shows that I've kept notes (be them from Purges or otherwise) as I've watched. That means, shows like The Bridge, Looking, Sherlock, and Dexter will not be included. To get my thoughts on those, ask me. This project, supposing I stay on schedule should take all month and I hope it does a good job summing up where these shows stand. In some cases, I'm hoping to convince you to start watching. Other times, it'll be nothing more than a postmortem for a show that's gone.
I hope you enjoy.


Favorite Episode(s): "Archer Vice: Baby Shower"

Assets:
Archer Vice: Part of this is going to depend on how you view Archer. Five seasons is a long time for a half hour comedy. For an animated series, it's no time at all (how many seasons are The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park on?). Archer certainly plays like a more traditional sitcom, so a change of pace was a great idea. I may have had issues with the exacts of how the chose to change things, but the decision to change the story this season was refreshing.

Writing Structure: I never give Archer enough credit for the writing. Other than simply being funny, there's a lot of craft to it. It's harder than it seems to essentially write dialogue that ends one scene and plays into another, which is almost all Archer does.

Serial Animation: Few shows, animated series in particular, since their characters never have to age, pay attention to the details the way that Archer does. Every time they show the tattoo on his back, I smile because they remembered. Then there's the larger things like whether or not Ray can walk in a given episode. The fact that they even opted for an entire theme season like Archer Vice is nice.

Liabilities:
Return to Status Quo: The return of ISIS can go one of two ways: 1) After the time away, the writers are reinvigorated and start churning on A-plus material within the confines of the standard formula or 2) the time away gave the audience a taste for change and returning to old ways feels like a creative crutch. I'm not sure which it will be. I assume it will be closer to the former.

Lana's Baby: They handled the time when Archer thought he had a son a couple seasons back pretty well. That was only a short time though and Lana's baby is permanent. I'm sure the show has great ideas for the baby, but I challenge you to find a series where the baby doesn't eventually become a drag.

Timeslot: This is no longer a problem. My biggest issue with this past season was that it generally followed How I Met Your Mother on my DVR and I would be so irritated by whatever happened on that, that I wouldn't give Archer the attention it deserved. Next season should go better.

Outlook:
I've alluded to this already. Archer is in a good place because it's animated, with great writing. That's all you need. The animation doesn't even have to be that great. It certainly helps that the cast is one I'd enjoy in live action as well as voice-work. H. Jon Benjamin is a better comedic actor than people give him credit for. My stance on Judy Greer is always "She was great in that. It's a shame they didn't use her more". Aisha Tyler brought back Who's Line is It Anyway? so, she has a lifetime pass. Chris Parnell is a weapon when someone knows how to use him. Jessica Walter is essentially beyond criticism. I can't say I know any of the others well enough outside the show, but my point stands. It's a splendid little show that I'm glad FX didn't ship off to FXX.

Previously this Offseason...
Community
Brooklyn Nine Nine
New Girl
Suburgatory
Modern Family 
Parenthood
The Mindy Project 
The Michael J Fox Show 
The Big Bang Theory
Agents of SHIELD 
The Crazy Ones
Back in the Game
Parks and Recreation 
The Walking Dead 
The Middle 
Saturday Night Live 
Cougar Town 
House of Cards 
Louie
How I Met Your Mother
The Americans

No comments:

Post a Comment