Saturday, February 23, 2019

Oscar Predictions: Best Live-Action, Animated, and Documentary Shorts

The Oscars are coming up yet again. The guilds, Globes, BAFTAs, and critics have all made their picks. Now it's my turn to figure out what it all means with my multi-part Oscar predictions.

I'm going to go through each of the Oscar categories, tell you what has been nominated and won elsewhere, and order the nominees from who I think is most to least likely to win on Oscar night. That doesn't mean I'll be right, but it does mean I'll be informed. Wish me luck.

---
 


Previously:
Lead Actress 
Original & Adapted Screenplay 
Best Picture
Sound Editing & Mixing 
Costume Design



Glossary:
Annie - Awards for Animation

There isn’t much in terms of precursor awards for the Short Oscar awards. The Annie Awards have an Animated Short award that is not very useful. Since 2001, only 6 winners of the Animated Short Oscar were even nominated for the Annie award.
Looking in the past, there isn’t a pattern for what kind of Shorts win the Oscar. Just as soon as you think you’ve identified a trend, it changes. What that means is that for any sufficiently competitive Oscar party, these three categories will decide the winner.

Animated Short
One Small Step
Personally, I found this story of a father and daughter’s relationship over the years yet another example of someone aping the first 10 minutes of Up, and I thought it was pretty emotionally manipulative. But nothing else stood out. The animation is clean and looked great. The story is straightforward and sweet.

Bao
There’s a theory of Disney dominance in the category. The idea is that because Disney puts their shorts before their animated movies, more people have seen them and feel comfortable voting for them. That doesn’t really check out. Disney loses as often as it wins if not more. Bao is weirdly violent. It doesn’t have the sweetness of Feast or Paperman from a few years ago. It isn’t as visually impressive as Piper two years ago. If anything, it’s more like Sanjay’s Super Team from 3 years ago which lost the Oscar. Still, it has the Disney brand name, so I’d be a fool to put it lower than second.

Weekends
Annie - Animated Short - Winner
This did win the Annie award. That must count for something. And, One Small Step and Bao are about the same basic thing, so Weekends’ unique visuals and slightly different story could set it apart.

Late Afternoon
It’s a simple story about the horror of Alzheimer’s. The animation style, I believe will be the deterrent for this.

Animal Behavior
In my experience (only 3 years, I’ll admit), the nominee that’s most overtly comedic doesn’t win this. So, while I enjoyed this group therapy short featuring animals, I’m not picking it.

Documentary Short
Period. End of Sentence
Last year, I hated Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405, and I was certain it was the only nominee that couldn’t win. I was wrong, so we’ll see how this goes. Here’s what I did learn last year. The 405 is a Los Angeles interstate. Dear Basketball (last year’s Animated Short winner) was produced by Los Angeles Lakes legend Kobe Bryant. If there’s a tangible LA connection, like, say, a documentary short about a charitable act by a Los Angeles high school, then it has better Oscar odds. Well, Period. End of Sentence is exactly that. It’s also an uplifting documentary about female empowerment in India, which is something the film Academy is very responsive to.

A Night at the Garden
This is a very short documentary with footage of an American Nazi rally that took place in Madison Square Garden shortly before Germany invaded Poland. It’s footage that’s sure to rile up a lot of feelings. I do worry that it’s a little too short and feels more like a tryout for a feature documentary about the topic.

Lifeboat
This documentary about a European group who rescues Libyan refugees who try to sail makeshift boats across the Mediterranean felt maybe a little timelier a year or two ago. Now, I don’t see it winning. On a personal note, I got annoyed by how many times the filmmaker inserted “art shots” into this: close-ups of water-soaked objects that the camera sits on for 10 seconds and things like that. It made me feel like the filmmaker was less concerned about the story of the documentary and more concerned with securing a bigger next job.

End Game
It’s a moving documentary about end of life hospital care. I think it tries a little too hard to make people cry though. There’s no urgency to this.

Black Sheep
It’s a fairly shocking documentary about a black British teen who tries to turn himself white in order to fit in with a group of racist white thugs in his town. It really needed some more context though and ends in a way that leaves you wanting more (in a bad way). I suspect voters won’t know what to do with this one and will opt to pick something else.

Live-Action Short
Before I get into the specifics, I have to say that this category was grim. I guess funny live-action shorts have outlets like Funny or Die to go to, so all that’s left for the Oscars are depressing shorts. Whatever the reason, these nominees were so damn depressing. People left the theater while I was watching them. And let me tell you, people bothering to set aside 3.5 hours on a Saturday to watch Oscar shorts are pretty committed. It takes a lot to scare them away.

Marguerite
This is the only Live-Action Short that wasn’t about children in danger. It’s a sad but incredibly sweet short about an elderly woman looking back on missed opportunities in her life. It’s the only one that didn’t leave me cold and hopeless. I think that will make it stick out with voters. The few years I’ve been watching the shorts, much to my surprise, the winners haven’t been the grim nominees. And this is the only non-grim nominee this year.

Detainment
Of the depressing nominees, this one is the most moving and complete. It’s based on the true story of a couple 10-year-olds who killed a younger boy being questioned by police. (Brutal, I know.) I don’t expect Oscar voters to be aware of the controversy surrounding the film. Apparently, the parents of the boy who was murdered didn’t give any consent for the film. In fact, they are very much against it being made.

Madre (Mother)
This one is about a mother who gets a call from her six-year-old son who is lost on a beach and possibly being abducted. It’s a technically impressive film, made to look like one continuous shot. It’s very much an incomplete story though; another short that feels more like a pitch for a feature length film than a self-contained story.

Skin
The son of a neo-Nazi witnesses his father attack a black man only to see friends of the victim get ironic revenge. This is the one that people walked out of when I was seeing these. It’s needlessly violent and not remotely subtle. I expect that it will turn voters off.

Fauve
Two young boys. Isolated. Quick sand. You do the math. This feels like it only exists to depress whoever watches it.

No comments:

Post a Comment