Sunday, July 30, 2023

Delayed Reaction: Magazine Dreams

Premise: An amateur bodybuilder goes a little nuts to pursue his dream.


Ok. I did a great job getting all caught up on these to immediately fall weeks behind. Let's see if I can power through a few of these. Sorry for short-changing some movies that deserve more discussion.

This movie is all about Jonathan Majors' very committed performance. I think he's incredible in a movie that asks him to be very unlikable and hard to sympathize with. His incredible physique is basically a special effect. The sequence that I'm calling "the Whiplash scene" is very impressive. Just complete mania and obsession and determination on screen.

I do think the movie dragged on toward the end. There were just a few too many chapters, especially for an ending that backs out of all the threads. Not that I wanted Majors to go full Joker.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment