Friday, January 7, 2022

Delayed Reaction: Finch

Premise: In a post-apocalyptic world, a man builds a robot to take care of his dog in case he dies.

 


One thing absolutely doesn’t computer with me about this movie. It’s wasn’t made sometime after March 2020. I wasn’t prepared for that fact. Over the last 2 years, I’ve gotten used to COVID production limitations. Even if not always consciously, I’ve factored the small crowd sizes and isolated locations into my viewing. Sometimes it’s a character skyping in for half a season. Other times it’s The White Lotus getting made simply because they could isolate the Hawaiian set to limit exposure. So, I watch Finch Immediately assuming that Tom Hanks opted to kill some time in this little Sci-Fi production that’s just him, a dog, and maybe one actor in a green CGI suit for 98% of the time. It turns out this was shot in 2019 in what turned out to be COVID-production conditions. This broke my brain and I’m still putting it back together.

 

The movie is decent though. It feels a little too familiar. The robot in this is a less annoying Chappie. The man and his dog remind me of I Am Legend and a half-dozen other movies I’m forgetting. There’s bits of The Road and The Martian in there too. At the end of the day, it’s still Tom Hanks in the lead role, so he makes it work. It’s a minor effort though. I assume the robot effects weren’t cheap, but this otherwise feels like a Sundance Sci-Fi movie like Z for Zachariah or I Am Mother which uses isolation to keep costs down even more than for story reasons. The robot didn’t annoy me, which is actually quite an accomplishment after how much Chappie soured me on the idea. They could’ve done more with the dog…You know what? That’s it. The movie needed more dog. It should’ve been the third star of the movie more than a prominent supporting role.

 

That said, major thanks to the movie for not killing the dog. 10 minutes in, hoping the dog wouldn’t die took 90% of my capacity to absorb the movie.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don’t Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment