Sunday, April 5, 2020

Delayed Reaction: Honeyland

Premise: A documentary following a pair of Macedonian beekeepers in a remote region.

I'm going to be honest. I'm dumbfounded about this movie. I can't figure out what I'm missing. This movie has glowing reviews. It the first movie I'm aware of to get nominated for both Documentary Feature and International Film by the Oscars. So, I watched it, and I don't get it.

This takes a fly on the wall perspective and follows the two beekeepers with conflicting ideologies and different home lives. I get what I'm supposed to like about the movie. It looks pretty. It's telling personal stories about these characters. There's all the reflection on the environment. It's told delicately and with patience.

I couldn't do anything to care about this movie. At one point, I even moved to a bigger TV and made a point to ignore my phone. It didn't help. I found this movie tediously boring. Apparently, this is a style of documentary that just doesn't click with me. I felt the same way watching this as I did Cameraperson, except this was even duller. I also ran into a perception problem. This movie is supposed to read as a sympathetic look at a widely ignored group of people. However, it felt more exploitative to me for some reason, like when a filmmaker comes to the U.S. Southwest and gets artistic shots of sand-covered trash cans at sunset.

Maybe I'm just not empathetic enough. Maybe I'm not a patient enough viewer. I don't know. The movie is competently enough made. I think I'm just shocked that there's not a little more critical dissent.

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment