Friday, March 13, 2020

Delayed Reaction: Planet of the Apes

Premise: An astronaut lands on a planet where apes have evolved and rule the planet and humans have become non-verbal and enslaved.

It's impossible to go into Planet of the Apes with fresh eyes. This was my first time seeing the movie, but it felt like a rewatch. I know the premise, the big ending, the characters, and the quotes. I recognized many of the scenes. It's one of those movies that I only made a point to see so I could check it off the list. If I'm being honest, that's how a lot of older movies are for me. The Birth of a Nation was a repugnant waste of time, but I've checked it off the list. The Jazz Singer offers little more value than historical context. Ben-Hur is overlong, with one memorable sequence. A significant amount of what I see is so no one can argue "you haven't even seen it" when I express a movie opinion.

That's what I expected Planet of the Apes would be. Instead, I ended up really liking it. Of course, I would've liked it more if there were a few unspoiled surprises in it, but whatever. It's good. Charlton Heston gets to play this as big as he wants, since he's acting against costumed apes. I kind of miss the era of SciFi that was just people dressed weird, sitting in a room, talking about social issues. A softer touch would've made this movie a lot worse.

An easy way to tell this is a well made movie: Even though I know every beat of that final scene, when I watched it in the context of the movie, it still totally worked for me.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment