Sunday, August 18, 2019

Delayed Reaction: I Love You, Now Die


The Pitch: I don't know. This is a two part documentary that aired on HBO. Both parts were feature length. Should I count this as a series or a movie? That's more of a question for how I'll enter this into my spreadhseets later, I suppose. I want to talk about it though.

A documentary about an 18 year old boy who commits suicide and his girlfriend who is being charged for manslaughter for telling him to do it.

I really dig the idea behind this. It's taking the Roshamon approach to documentary storytelling. Part one essentially tells the story from the boy's (or boy's family's) point of view. Part two comes to the girlfriend's defense. That's a great idea. I often complain that documentaries hide their bias or fail to recognize it. This makes that into a feature, not a bug. It also uses this as a way to sympathize with multiple sides and comment on how media narratives take hold. I'd love if more documentaries were told like this. Too often, documentaries find the easy argument and make it. This idea is much harder and, in the end, more valuable.

I guess I'll weigh in with my opinion of this case, based only on what I learned in the documentary. I'm the prick who has asked questions like "Does Charlie Manson really deserve to be charged for murder just because he told other people to do it?". I understand the nuance, but fundamentally, I'm bothered by anything that absolves a person of free will. Charging the girlfriend in this case with manslaughter seems too severe to me. Harassment, maybe. Something more along the lines of a misdemeanor. And that was my opinion before I realized that she was also mentally unstable. This was an unfortunate mix of personalities but not criminal. This is one of those cases that hits people on a gut level though. The opposite opinion to mine sounds obvious to other people too. I err on the side of not sending people to prison though.

All that said, this was a hard watch. I was already in a down mood, then there was all this talk about depression, hopelessness, and suicide. I had to immediately follow this up with Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol for some escapism.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment