Thursday, February 9, 2012

Too Much Free Time

All the time people tell me, "you have too much free time." I don't really deny it. I never have denied it. Frankly, I don't know how other people manage to fill their time. I work a full time job, have plans most of the nights of the week, run errands. Still, I manage to binge three seasons of 3rd Rock from the Sun in a week, stay on top of my Netflix queue, listen to podcasts, stay of top of basketball scores, waste a few hours reading about Polpot, and write shit like this. I'm not efficient, so I can't use the argument that I'm too efficient and that's what gives me so much free time.

I'm starting to think I'm simply being more honest about it. All the time I'm asking people how they killed their time that day and they say something like "too busy".

A few times a year, I'll even plan a day where I will be busy, start to finish. Christmas shopping for example. I will plan to go all over town all day long, with plans to do stuff with friends afterwards or something. All day long I will make mention to people "I might be a little late" or "Running way behind schedule. Might have to push it back to 9 instead of 8." Despite myself, I'm still done by 6, and that's only because I wasted an hour and a half at the food court in the mall watching muted Sportcenter.

It shouldn't surprise me though. These are the same people I didn't understand in school. In grade school and middle school, when everyone has the exact same classes, they always complain about having so much homework. I'll give a pass to people in High School because the one I went to could be intense, but even still, no job, not sports, no clubs, how can you be that busy especially since every TV show I talk about from the night before they've see too. College is the one that finally made me realize these people were full of shit. Now, I'm smart. I admit that, but I am by no means especially smart. I had median qualifications to get into my college of choice. Most of the people I hung out with were as smart as me, or smarter, but I never complained about having too much work to do. Even my worst semesters were easily manageable, even with a job. Still, there were always some people who claimed to have so much to do. Granted, I was fine with A-/B+s. They were going for As. Is a 10% grade really worth the grief though?

Now it's really confusing, because people aren't even in school. Maybe one day I'll have an actual busy life. Until then, I guess too much free time will continue to be the albatross around my neck.

3 comments:

  1. Michael says you've started reading The Princess Bride??

    And "I'm too busy" is another way of saying, "I don't know how to manage my time."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog's pretty funny, but "waste a few hours reading about Polpot" cracked me up like nothing has in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. That was a strange night.

    ReplyDelete