Thursday, December 31, 2015

My Top 10 Shows of 2015

It's December again. That means it's time to look back on the year. By far, 2015 was the busiest year of TV (or whatever we call it now) ever. So many shows. So many channels. So many ways to watch it. So much that I can't ever cover it all in a single list.

In 2014, I watched the most new TV I've ever watched. It was exhausting and I vowed to calm down. After all, 47 shows is too many for one man - with friends, a job, and also a movie addiction - to watch. Naturally, this year, I upped the count to 69. It's never been harder to narrow down a top ten. As you'll see with my next few posts, a top 20, 30, and 40 was tough too. Here you go though, my list of the ten very best things TV had to offer in 2015*.

*That I was able to watch. I covered my omissions already.

Top 10
Next Top 10 (11-20)
The “20's Not Enough” 10 (21-30)
The “Somehow Not in my top 30” 10. (31-40)
Everything Else
Worst 10
Wish I Watched

Last Year

10. The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst
Last Year: N/A
Favorite Episode: "What the Hell Did I Do?"
Prepare yourself for a lot of HBO in this top ten. Apparently, they get me. I begin with the most unique show they put on this year. Andrew Jarecki has spent years investigating Robert Durst and the series of suspicious murders he's connected to.
First he made the movie All Good Things about Durst. He completely eclipsed that with this: a documentary series that plays like a thriller. The star is Robert Durst himself who agreed to do interviews with Jarecki that were dark and fascinating.
Durst is the kind of person that can only exist in real life. If someone wrote that character, he wouldn't be believable. The signature moment, and the thing that set it over the top and into my top 10 is the moment when he answers the question that everyone wants to know.
It's only six episodes. Watch it.

9. Louie (Season 5)
Last Year: #9
Favorite Episode: Cop Story
I keep flirting with dropping this show further and never do. This was my least favorite season of the show and the most forgettable one. It was very hit or miss, but, when it hit, it was excellent. This is the only show that would do an episode about the dreariness of traveling for shows, slip in a side story about getting and old-timey picture taken with some strangers, and still feel of a piece.
I was most impressed by Michael Rappaport in Cop Story. It's a familiar character, the loudmouth that no one likes, but that performance is so manic and ugly that I got sucked in. I just wish this show could surprise me the way it did in the early days: a problem with any aging series.

8. Review (Season 2)
Last Year: N/A
Favorite Episode: William Tell, Grant a Wish, Rowboat
I pounced on the opportunity to catch up on the show before the second season began this summer and I'm glad I did. This season managed to be even more confident than before. "Reviewer of Life" Forrest Macneil saw his life torn apart repeatedly (Blackmail, Murder, Catfish) and hilariously (William Tell, Perfect Body, Brawl) so many times. It doesn't seem like it, but this is one of the darkest comedies on TV and at times heartbreaking (It's made me feel emotional over the murder of a grown man's imaginary friend. How did they do that?). Andy Daly gives one of the best performances of anyone on TV. He's marvelous.

7. Master of None (Season 1)
Last Year: N/A
Favorite Episode: Indians on TV
Aziz Ansari continues to surprise me. With Master of None, he's made a deeply personal show that's often inspired. Half romantic comedy, half reflection on society, it is one of the few "binge shows" still concerned with crafting an actual episode. Based on Tom from Parks & Rec. and other roles I've seen him in, I never would've guessed he'd be such a nuanced lead. Props too to Noel Wells for coming out strong after her all too brief time on SNL.

6. The Americans (Season 3)
Last Year: #7
Favorite Episode: Do Mail Robots Dram of Electric Sheep?
The only thing working against The Americans is that is comes on so early in the year, that I forget its greatness by the time I make the year end list. This season had showcase after showcase for everyone in the cast.
Matthew Rhys being tasked with seducing an impressionable teenage girl was the most uncomfortable thing I watched this year. Perhaps a close second being the home dental work they did. Keri Russell bonding with the old woman whose only sin was working too late, knowing that she'd have to kill her is as good as TV gets. Then there's Paige learning the truth about her parents. And Annet Mehendru basically on her own show in the Russian prison. And Noah Emmerich, still the company man for the FBI despite the rest of his life falling apart.
How are there five better shows?

5. Silicon Valley (Season 2)
Last Year: #3
Favorite Episode: Homicide
Don't let the two spot drop fool you. Nothing about the second season of Silicon Valley was a let down. No single moment matched the brilliance in Optimal Tip-to-Tip Efficiency, but so many did come close. In Homicide alone you have both the SWOT board and the reveal about Double Asshole. The addition of Chris Diamantopoulos' Russ Hanneman, Peter Gregory replacement Laurie Bream (Suzanne Cryer), and new girl in the company, Carla (Alice Wetterlund) softened the blow of losing Christopher Evan Welch. Thomas Middleditch doesn't get the credit he deserves for his role. The same goes for Zach Woods. This is just a terrific ensemble.

4. Fargo (Season 2)
Last Year: #1
Favorite Episode: Rhinoceros
I'm not sure how this happened. Fargo was my top show last year. Season 2 was as good if not better, and here it is "dropping" to 4th. It didn't have the surprise factor of the first season and I suppose that made all the different.
The second season did what most sequels aim to do. It expanded in almost every way. The story was more expansive. The carnage was crazier. The cast was much bigger. I don't even know where to begin with singling out performances. Patrick Wilson is always steady. Kirsten Dunst continues to impress and surprise me. Jesse Plemons inches ever closer to that "big break" when the world realizes how great he is. Nick Offerman impressively follows his Ron Swanson days with something markedly different. Cristin Milioti and Ted Danson carried themselves with natural ease and confidence. Bokeem Woodbine. Zahn McClarnon. Jean Smart. I'm just going to stop with them. There's no way I can cover all the great work.
As I said, season two greatly expanded on season one and completely succeeded. It was hilarious. It was intense. It was assured. It was everything I wanted it to be.

3. Parks & Rec. (Season 7)
Last Year: #6
Favorite Episode: Leslie & Ron
This one jumped all over my list. I mean, it's one of the all time great comedies. Just about any ranking seems too low. I "settled" on third. This was one of the great victory lap seasons of TV. The time jump allowed for interesting new dynamics and set up for a bottle episode (of sorts) with Leslie & Ron, which is one of a handful of episodes that belong in the Best Ever discussion.
The finale, which followed every major (and some minor) character's story years down the line was among the most satisfying ends to any series. Years down the line, I imagine people will be bewildered that this low rated comedy kept such a strong collection of talent (like Freaks and Geeks but for adult actors) for seven seasons.

2. Veep
Last Year: #2
Favorite Episode: Testimony
Two years in a row as my second pick. That's pretty good. That means it's been my favorite comedy for two years, and why shouldn't it be? It's the funniest comedy on TV. Even the Emmys agree*. No offense to the Seinfeld fans out there, but this is a career best role for Julia Louise Dreyfus. An entire season of her as POTUS was no less entertaining than previous seasons. Whether it was the congressional reading of all the names in the Jonad Files, the team scrambling to figure out what happens in the case of a tie in the Electoral College, Mike and Gary running panicked through a Tehran airport with bags full of booze, or any of a handful of things each episode, this was a terrific show.

*Which, yes, I do recognize how that's as much a strike against it as anything. I like to think of it more in terms of "A broken clock is still right twice a day".

1. The Leftovers
Last Year: #5
Favorite Episode:  International Assassin
It's simple really. There was no show that I looked forward to seeing each week more than The Leftovers and each episode ended up deserving that anticipation. Season 2 was an improvement in nearly every way. The switch to focusing on only a couple characters each episode focused the series as a whole. The world was even more rich with detail with the move to Jarden, TX. I feel like
I need to give special attention to Justin Theroux and Christopher Eccleston for their showcase episodes, the series high points. David Lindelof and company not only managed to get a good performance out of Liv Tyler, they somehow made her one of the most haunting villains of the year. The only down side to the season was Carrie Coon not getting enough opportunities to shine. Having such a deep roster of talent is a good problem to have though. I'm so happy to hear that it was renewed for a third and final season. But even if it hadn't been, this was a wholly satisfying end to the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment