Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 - The "20's Not Enough" 10 (21-30)

It's December again. That means it's time to look back on the year. By far, 2015 was the busiest year of TV (or whatever we call it now) ever. So many shows. So many channels. So many ways to watch it. So much that I can't ever cover it all in a single list.

In years past, by the time I get to the 20's in my year end lists, I'm talking about shows that I'm watching out of habit or loyalty. Shows that I wouldn't bother recommending to people because I'm only liking them enough to continue. In 2015, that's not the case.

Top 10
Next Top 10 (11-20)
The “20's Not Enough” 10 (21-30)
The “Somehow Not in my top 30” 10. (31-40)
Everything Else
Worst 10
Wish I Watched

Last Year

21. The Jim Gaffigan Show (Season 1)
Last Year: N/A
Favorite Episode: Super Great Daddy Day
This is a throwback comedy. It's very appropriate that it aired on TV Land. The reason is tops this third set is simple: it inverts so many tropes of the show I thought it would be. Jim and his wife (played by the delightful Ashley Williams) are on the same side. She catches him in a hotel room with a half-dressed woman: she knows that it's a mix up and gets him out of that mad house. He says he can get a bunch of chores done that she knows he will mess up: whatever – she'll give him a chance to try. It's such a refreshing show.

22. Better Call Saul (Season 1)
Last Year: N/A
This was going to be The Hobbit. Like the Lord of the Rings, Breaking Bad was an all time great. I saw all the Hobbit movies. I never considered skipping them because I liked being in Middle Earth too much. That's what I was prepared for with Better Call Saul: returning because I liked being there. Instead, Bob Odenkirk proved that he is a capable lead of a series and the story the show is telling stands on its own. It had no business being as good as it is. Jonathan Banks certainly helps.

23. Show Me a Hero
Last Year: N/A
This David Simon mini series covers the contentious housing project construction in Yonkers in the 1980s. This is another reason why Oscar Isaac is winning 2015. I'm going to stop there, because if I start listing off the people in the large cast who impressed me, it would double the word count of this post.

24. Jessica Jones (Season 1)
Last Year: N/A
Marvel had a great debut on Netflix this year. Jessica Jones told a very human story about people with inhuman strength. Krysten Ritter and David Tennent shined. 13 episodes was a few too many for the amount of story being covered. An 8-episode version of this that didn't drag as much at times would've probably been a lock for my top 20.

25. Halt and Catch Fire (Season 2)
Last Year: Not Ranked
One of the best examples of course correction in a second season this year. They wisely moved Kerry Bishe to a lead role. Lee Pace had to pay for all his manipulation and mania last year. Mutiny was a far more interesting setting than Cardiff. I wish I liked the direction they went in with Scoot McNairy more. His scenes were momentum killers every episode. Season 3 is setup up to be even better.

26. Hannibal (Season 3)
Last Year: #8
Still the most beautiful and haunting show on TV, the series ended as brutal and dark as ever. Brian Fuller and company fully embraced the art project leanings of the show. The first half of the season was almost incomprehensible at times. I want to say I was able to appreciate those parts, but sometimes, I really need some plot to happen. Hugh Dancy, Mads Mikkelsen, Caroline Dhaverbasm and Richard Armitage were all great.

27. 30 for 30
Last Year: N/A
Has this really been going on since 2009? I didn't see all the sports docs, but here's a what I did see from this year: Of Miracles and Men, I Hate Christian Laettner, Trojan War, The Prince of Pennsylvania, Chasing Tyson, and Four Falls in Buffalo. This is a great series that I'm glad ESPN has kept up with. That's a solid and varied lineup.The series lacks the wow factor of when it first appeared, but it's always interesting.

28. Orange is the New Black (Season 3)
Last Year: Not Ranked
Season 3 was easily my favorite season of the show. It moved into being more overtly a comedy, which has always been my favorite part. As always, this has one of the most eclectic and interesting casts on TV*. Highlights of the season certainly include the Mother's Day episode, Big Boo's episode, and the extended scene at the lake to end the season.

*You know what I mean. TV, online, episodic whatever.

29. Looking (Season 2)
Last Year: Not Ranked
Did I mention how this year was deep with quality? That's the only way I can explain this being so low. Michael Lannan's series about a trio a gay men in San Francisco got even deeper and funnier and real in it's second season. It's a shame that Jonathan Groff and company won't be back for a third. I'm glad they will get the opportunity to close things out with a movie special next year.
Patrick and Richie forever!

30. Girl Meets World (Seasons 1 & 2)
Last Year: Not Ranked
Had they stopped before Girl Meets Texas, I'd've been much higher on this Disney Channel sequel series. The hit to miss ratio improved greatly this year. They managed to be greatly entertaining whenever Shawn returned (I'm oddly invested in the 'shipping of him and Maya's mom). The Eric episodes were much more lacking, sadly. The "message episodes" did well, handling topics like bullying (Girl Meets Rileytown) and the autism spectrum (Girl Meets Farkle). It's a shame they had to get so invested in creating a love triangle by the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment