Friday, January 20, 2023

Delayed Reaction: The Wonder

Premise: A nurse shows up to a small village to monitor a girl who has miraculously not eaten anything for months.


This happens every year. In my race to see as many movies before the end of the year as I can, I take a chance on a movie I've heard next to nothing about but has an actor I really like in it. I then find out why a movie with this actor has remained so ignored.

 

Florence Pugh is pretty good in this movie. It does feel like a "Pugh performance Greatest Hits" at times. The setting looks a lot like Lady Macbeth. There's a scene of her walking toward the camera upset that was reminiscent of Midsommar. There was a conspiratorial angle to the town like Don't Worry Darling.

 

To be honest though, the movie lost me right away with that intro where it tells us this is a movie and we should believe the actors’' performances. I don't see the value of that in this movie at all. That intro is much bolder than the movie can back up. Granted, that is the one thing I'll probably remember about the movie a year from now.

 

Verdict: Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment