Monday, January 2, 2023

Delayed Reaction: Something from Tiffany's

Premise: After a mix-up at Tiffany's the engagement ring one man intends for his girlfriend ends up with another woman.


This movie has me thinking about something. I like to dismissively laugh at my parents for how addicted to the Hallmark Christmas movies they get. The subtext is that I'm somehow too good to be caught watching those. However, I can't point to a single reason why Something at Tiffany's is any better than those Hallmark movies. The best defenses I have are that it's an Amazon movie, it's has a higher caliber star in Zoey Deutch, and the director has a cooler indie filmography than many of the Hallmark filmmakers. I can also point to how Something from Tiffany's is actually based on a book or how Amazon and Deutch by definition probably mean more was spent to make this. That looked like real New York City to me too. I think I just need to take the loss here and admit that I'm no better than the people gobbling up interchangeable Lacey Chabert and Candice Cameron-Bure movies.

 

Let's be honest here too. I watched this because I like Zoey Deutch. I'll let someone else figure out how much of like means 'pretty' and how much means 'talented'. Both are at play. This is a charming movie. It gets a lot of use out of some very pretty parts of New York City. Zoey Deutch and Kendrick Sampson are charming together. I like that their situations aren't overly tidy. They are both in long-term relationships that work. They just aren't optimal. Those relationships do fall apart at just the right time to make no one the bad guy when Deutch and Sampson end up together. This is a Christmas RomCom. It can't be too complicated, after all.

 

In the back of my mind, I'm determined to find a favorite movie with Zoey Deutch in it. It feels like she has a What If? or even an About Time somewhere in her career eventually. I expect it'll sneak up on me. Something from Tiffany's wasn't it, but it's coming. And I'll be there when it happens. Otherwise, is Everybody Wants Some!! really going to remain my go-to Zoey Deutch movie?

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment