Friday, July 29, 2022

Delayed Reaction: Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers

Premise: Chip ‘n Dale live in the modern day as washed-up actors who get pulled into a real adventure.

 


Sometimes I worry that a part of my brain is broken where I don’t have affection for things I watched before a certain age. I absolutely have nostalgia blinders but they don’t seem to kick in for a number of years. I was born in 1987 and I have a pretty limited set of shows or movies I’m nostalgic for in my early years. I’ll defend the early Nicktoons (Doug, Rugrats), Power Rangers, Saved by the Bell, and 90s themed stuff in general. A lot of really young kid stuff I don’t carry with me. I don’t care about Wishbone, Reading Rainbow, Sesame Street, or Mr. Rodgers’ Neighborhood. I struggle to find a Space Jam, Hook, Goonies, or Goofy Movie that I’ll ride or die for. The same goes for these Disney Animated Series that make comebacks. I have no desire to see the new Duck Tales, no matter how many voice actors they get who I like. Similarly, just hearing that there’s a new Chip ‘n Dale movie does nothing for me.

 

However, if you tell me that the new Chip ‘n Dale movie is a way for the Lonely Island guys to make their own Who Framed Roger Rabbit, then I’m in. The best way I can describe the appeal is: if getting Paula Abdul in for a cameo to dance in the background with MC Skat Kat for a couple or seconds is something you’d enjoy, then this is the movie for you. Or if repeated jokes about the Sonic redesign work for you, you’ll like this movie.

 

I don’t have a lot to say other than this is the good version of this movie. All the people involved clearly have an affection for the Chip ‘n Dale animated series. Even better, it’s a group of people who know exactly how to play within studio lines. This movie makes fun of virtually all studio animation and takes pointed shots at Disney characters. It all stays dulled just enough for Disney to allow it though. I don’t know if this makes sense, but if they had pushed for 5% more they would’ve gotten away with 10% less.

 

Look, the movie isn’t perfect. Like most comedies, the joke-to-plot ratio could be better in the third act. Kiki Layne as the main human character never seems like she’s talking to anything but a golf ball hanging from a stick (or whatever they used to get the eye lines right). The story is pretty familiar too. There’s just way more stuff I liked about it though. John Mullaney and Andy Samberg are perfect choices for Chip ‘n Dale. The voice cast is deep with funny people. The jokes are sharp. The execution and world building are really solid. This is such a treat to drop on Disney+.

 

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment