Thursday, March 18, 2021

Quick Reaction: Ma Belle, My Beauty


Not every movie is for me. And, hard as I try, I may just be too much of a boring American for this movie. Ma Belle, My Beauty is about Bertie (Idella Johnson). She has recently moved to south France with her French husband (Lucien Guignard), and she isn't doing too well. She doesn't know the language and feels disconnected from her new life. So, her husband has a possibly misguided idea. He invites her pseudo-ex-girlfriend, Lane (Hannah Pepper), for a visit. You see, for a long time, the three of them were in a throuple, where they basically shared Bertie. One day, Lane up and disappeared, and the remaining couple opted to tie the knot. So, there wasn't a break up as much as a disappearance. The drama of the movie is Bertie sorting out what her feelings are for Lane now. Can she forgive her? Does she have any right to be jealous when Lane starts sleeping with another woman on the visit? Does she even want to take her back? And, Lane has to figure out how she feels too.

 

The acting is really good. Especially Idella Johnson. The French countryside looks beautiful in a "I like seeing it in a movie, but I don't have a strong desire to visit there" way. I didn't care that much about the central drama though. It felt obvious to me. Trying to give half of yourself to two people isn't enough for either of them. Big surprise. I didn't pick up much chemistry between Bertie and Lane (or Bertie and the husband, really). Since I never bought into that connection, it made how the drama of this would resolve meaningless to me.

 

(It would also be unfair if I didn't mention that this was my 8th movie in a day after 9 the day before and 10 the day before that. I didn't have my A-energy to bring to this.)

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment