Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Do The Right Thing

The Pitch: A funny dramatic movie about race in New York.

What Took Me So Long: I need to be in the right mood for a movie that deals so much with race.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I never know what to do about Spike Lee. He kind of annoys me but he has his own voice, which is nice. And, this movie is nothing if not highly stylized and in Lee's voice. The characters are instantly memorable even if they aren't recognizable (I did a spit take when I realized that Buggin' Out was the Chicken Man).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: That was a crappy ending. I see absolutely no way that Sal would still be talking to Mookie by the end. That bothered me a great deal. Everything else was a pretty good balance of all the elements, but no. I could see if someone else broke the window and Mookie then joined in, but as the one who smashed the window and caused the riot to escalate, there is no way that I believe Sal would have a civil conversation with him the next god-damn day.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment