Friday, December 30, 2022

Delayed Reaction: The Bob's Burgers Movie

Premise: Bob's Burgers, but longer.


I like Bob's Burgers. I've watched it for several years now, but - like - not as a priority. Like The Simpsons, it sort of fell into my Sunday habit. I like the show. The characters are enjoyable. It's smarter than I give it credit for. I'm just not a big animation guy overall. It never does as much for me as it seems to do for other people. Beyond that, it's hard to make something designed for 22-minute chunks into something over 90-minutes long. And it has to overcome the question of why this wasn't just an episode or maybe a special two-part episode.

 

The Bob's Burgers Movie never overcomes the question of why this isn't just a long episode of the show. It does play like and enjoyable episode. The main difference is in the number of stories. With a weekly episode, there's time for an A, a B, and maybe a C story. If someone doesn't get much focus one week, they will the next. The movie basically gives everyone a story and connects them pretty well. So, I did like the movie. However, I'll put it this way. If I'm binging Bob's Burgers episodes, I might throw this movie on as part of the binge. However, I'd never think to watch this when I'm in the mood for a movie. In that way, this fits in a respectable group with El Camino and The Deadwood Movie, not a Star Trek movie.

 

And I lot of people like to binge Bob's Burgers. And now there's a movie to reproduce the experience of that.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment