Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Police Story 3: Super Cop

Premise: China needs the best Hong Kong police officer for a special mission. Enter Jackie Chan.

 


Is there some kind of 20-movie Blu-ray set with all the Cop Story, Project A, Drunken Master, and selected other movies that I could buy? I'll pay up to $200. It would be a good value as far as I can tell. I'm really enjoying this slow catch up I'm doing of Jackie Chan movies. I'm so angry that for years, my only exposure to Jackie Chan was his American movies. And I even like a lot of those, honestly. Rush Hour and the Shanghai movies are a lot of fun. They don't compare to the Cop Story movies though. Maybe on a basic level they are similar, but the stunts and silliness work so much better in Cop Story.

 

By Supercop, it's clear that Chan's officer "Kevin" Chan Ka-Kui is John McClane. He might've started as a patrol officer stumbling into bigger events, but now he's the well-known Supercop. The movie jumps right into it and never looks back. More movies that aren't about the writing need to embrace this. Do the bad setup stuff quickly. That part of the story is getting a failing grade regardless. Might as well make it really clunky and really fast.

 

Mostly, this movie is Jackie Chan and Michelle Yeoh being awesome in fights that are both ambitious and complex. That's exactly what I want. The addition of Yeoh is welcome. The series was already a buddy cop movie only with one cop.

 

Cop Story 2 was a slight disappointment due to how much it toned down the mayhem of the first movie. Supercop still lacks the mayhem, but it replaces it with ambition. There are more explosions and virtually everything with the helicopter and the train is a stunning display of practical effects and stunt coordination.

 

I'm having so much fun tracking down a new Jackie Chan movie every month or so. The only question now is if I keep up with the Police Story movies next or move to some other franchises.

 

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment