Friday, August 24, 2018

Delayed Reaction: Withnail & I

The Pitch: But how much can one man drink in a film?

Two out-of-work actors take a vacation to a cottage out in the country and drink profusely along the way.

I'm pretty disappointed. This is a cult movie I've been looking forward to a lot. I don't think I've heard a single person with a bad thing to say about Withnail & I. Everyone who sees it seems to be crazy about the movie. The description of the movie sounds great. I love a good drinking movie. I'm fine with a comedy about nothing in particular. I'm even more fine with comedy performances that are called "tour de force". Withnail & I can be found on just about any Great British Films or Best British Comedies list.

I don't get what all the fuss was about. Before I get into that, I'll add a few disclaimers. The movie is densely British. There's a decent chance that I missed some bits due to the accents. Also, I saw this movie alone and sober. I can see how it would play better drunk and with friends.

...Actually, I don't really have much to say about this. I'm a little confused about the love for it. I'm not angry like after I see a Yorgos Lanthimos movie, and this falls way short of my inability to connect with something like Mulholland Drive. After watching Withnail & I, I just feel like I've missed something obvious. It probably doesn't help that a lot of the humor later on is based on gay fear, which feels as dated as it should. I feel like I should be quoting the movie a lot more, but I don't recall any quotes that stuck out. My verdict on this is more 'incomplete' than anything, although I have no strong desire to revisit it. I'm not against it though.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment