Thursday, October 9, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Parental Guidance

The Pitch: Parents these days. They're too soft on there kids. Oh, and I like baseball.

What Took Me So Long: Is it possible for a movie to be a more toothless version of Little Fockers?

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Billy Crystal is one of those likable guys in Hollywood, who you are glad to see settle into whatever age he is. I don't know if he was ever "hip" so a PG movie, in which he's the grandfather is a good fit. That it includes his well-documented love of baseball is even more fitting. I enjoy latter-day Bette Midler because she isn't always trying so hard. We know who she is. We know what she does. The audience can immediately fill in the blanks to her back story, and she can play the character honestly instead of big. I'm always happy to see Marisa Tomei in more than a bit part (and this is where I mention how great she look for someone pushing 50. My Cousin Vinny was 20 years ago and she looks virtually the same).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Because if there's one thing I want to see as much as parents and kids not understanding each other, it's parents and grandparents not understanding each other. It's a completely amiable movie, but it feel like it was written by a grandparent that just learned how to use Final Draft. The modern references involve the conjugation of 'Tweet' and Tony Hawk, so it isn't exactly fresh. There's a certain contempt for modern parenting methods that I do share, but there isn't any original commentary about it. It's not a family film. It's a kids movie aimed to appease parents or grandparents. It's a weird mix.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment