Monday, December 27, 2021

Movie Reaction: Belfast

Formula: Roma ^ The Troubles

 


I’m going to jump right in with the obvious comparison. The further into Awards season we get, the more we’ll hear about Belfast and Roma both being semi-biographic films from auteur directors filmed in black and white. Roma was about Alfonso Cuaron’s childhood in Mexico City from the perspective of his nanny. Belfast is Kenneth Branagh’s film about his childhood in Belfast during the Troubles. I suppose this is the new WWII/Holocaust when it comes to the Oscars. Every director’s got one and they all get love. Isn’t that kind of what Cold War was too? And, much like the WWII Oscar bait, it looks like I’m going to be annoyed by the trend while ending up enjoying the films.

 

Belfast centers around Buddy (Jude Hill): a 10-ish year old boy living through the Troubles. His happy life is turned upside down when a group of Protestants attack the Catholic homes on his street. His parents (Jamie Dornan and Caitriona Balfe) are struggling with money. I don’t fully understand the tax system in Northern Ireland, but it sounds like the tax man has been really screwing them despite his dad seeming to have a pretty good job. Unfortunately, the job is in England, so he can only come back and visit every couple weeks. Due to the turmoil in Belfast, Buddy’s parents contemplate a move elsewhere, even though Belfast is all they’ve ever known. In particular, this would mean leaving Buddy’s delightful grandparents (Judi Dench and Ciaran Hinds) behind. There are some harrowing moments in the film, but this is mainly a family drama. And I like it as that. The film is very much framed from Buddy’s child POV. The fact that I don’t understand the ins-and-outs of Irish legalities helped in a way, because I would occasionally be as lost about the things Buddy’s overhearing as he is. 

 

This is definitely a performance movie. Hill is a very capable child actor. He didn’t blow me away. Mostly, he was good enough to not be a distraction and to let me pay attention to the adults. That’s not a knock on him. That’s just what the movie needed. I’m so curious to see how this Oscar race plays out, because Balfe, Dornan, Dench, and Hinds all have arguments for Supporting nominations. My money is on the grandparents, because Dench and Hinds get some of the most heartwarming moments. I never thought I’d like Dornan this much after blasé work in the 50 Shades movies. Over the last year though, he’s really won me over. I remain positive about the odd charms of Wild Mountain Thyme. He’s great fun in Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar, even though the movie wore on me. And he’s excellent in Belfast too. Much more natural than I’ve seen him. Balfe gets a variety of modes to play in. It’s a Mama Bear performance. Stern when needed. Gentle at other times. She gets plenty of autonomy too, which mom roles don’t typically have. I love the sweetness of this cast and how they play off each other.

 

Branagh stops just short of being pretentious with the movie. Sure, the black and white is a little much. This habit of filmmakers making something black and white to be taken more seriously is getting old. Otherwise, Belfast doesn’t play like a self-serious movie. It’s a brisk 1h45m when it easily could’ve navel-gazed into 2 hours or more. There’s a lot of humor in the movie, normally from the child-like perspective of things. I particularly enjoyed Buddy’s attempts to understand the Catholic traditions. As someone raised Catholic, seeing non-Catholics trying to understand things about Catholicism like they actually make sense is always a pleasure. This isn’t a film that I needed, but I’m pleased to have seen it anyway.

 

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment